Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Surfing, Sobbing & A Birthday Tribute

About 36 hours after my meltdown described below...


Several years ago, I was sobbing hysterically in an Uber at 5:45 am.

Bewildered Uber Driver (BUD): Um, are you ok?!

Me: (through snot and drool that only a stage 5 meltdown can produce) Yeah-no, I don't know!

*more sobbing*

BUD:  Ok...well...where are we going today from DFW Airport?

*He is certain that I am going to answer Guantanamo Bay, given my display of emotion*

Me: Hawaii.

BUD: * Blank stare.  Crickets chirping.*

Me: I won't see my dog for 14 daaayysssss!!! *wailing*snotting* 

It is an understatement to say that I am overly attached to my dog.  I am ok with that.  

What I can't imagine is having to drop a child off to their 1st day of school, college or watch them take a leap not knowing how or where they'll land.

Father Daughter tasty nap, 1987

My sweet, wonderful parents put on such a brave face when Tobey and I started out for #RoadTrip4Tobey, but seeing my dad with a lump in his throat will always make me weepy.

Mama, Me, Daddy
Today is his birthday so I just want to celebrate and give thanks for such an amazing Daddy. 
Happy Birthday, Grampa!  xoxo, Tobey
He did not necessarily agree with this crazy #RoadTrip4Tobey idea, yet has supported me every step of the way.  I called him broke and crying from Colorado and he calmed me down.  He insisted I use his credit card to have a hot meal and stay at a Holiday Inn instead of brave the wilderness again.

Being Southern, he of course, armed me...

Heavily...

...and fashionably.


I'm sorry for the grey (no, silver!) hairs I've added to your Jimmy Johnson hairdo.  Thank you and mama for teaching me to love all of God's creatures, especially those with 4 legs.  

Thank you for maintaining a sense of humor while putting up with me.  





Thank you for showing me how to stay adventuresome by riding your new motorcycle through the Texas 'burbs.

Thank you for using rakes and a trash bins to teach my niece parallel parking yesterday.  

Thank you for continuing to support and love your 35 year-old little girl, even when that meant letting her go a little bit.  

Happy Birthday, Daddy!  I love you!  

Kerry
#roadtrip4tobey

1 comment:

  1. Awesome man getting one day older! Loved the post for your dad! Becky

    ReplyDelete